Margaret Garner

My life in Margaritaville

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

More musicals

This weekend I saw the musical Avenue Q, the 2004 Tony Award winner for Best Musical. It was terrific! I didn't really know anything about it, other than Wenmei listens to the CD... a LOT. Knowing that Wenmei and I usually like the same things, I decided while walking past the Paramount Theatre Saturday afternoon to buy tickets for that evening's show. My spontaneous purchase turned out to be a great decision. I loved the show. It was hysterically funny, had heart and great toe-tapping tunes. I've been humming the songs ever since.

For those of you who haven't seen the show, most of the characters in Avenue Q are puppets. They live in a tenement building in NYC on Avenue Q with Gary Coleman as their landlord. It's done in the style of Sesame Street, but this is not a puppet show for kids. There are adult themes and language throughout. There's even a sex scene with puppets (I naively thought this must be the only sex scene ever portrayed with puppets, but I was told that there's also a sex scene done with marionettes in the movie Team America: World Police. Should have known).

Avenue Q is at the tail end of it's national tour, but if you're lucky enough to have it play in your city, I recommend it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home