Margaret Garner

My life in Margaritaville

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Critics Corner

On Saturday night, I finally got to see the movie Once, which I have wanted to see since early summer. Luckily it was still playing at the Redmond Picture Show which is a theatre/lounge where you can sip a cocktail while watching a moving. I ordered a Black Pearl which is a rum, amaretto, pineapple juice concoction. The drink was delicious, but mostly I ordered it because it made me think of Johnny Depp.

Once is the story of a street musician/song writer in Dublin, Ireland. He meets a young Czech immigrant woman who sells flowers on the street. She also happens to be a pianist/song writer and when they get together to write and play music, magic happens.

I guess the movie could be considered a "musical" (a genre of which I am generally a fan), but the songs don't feel contrived. Watching the musical numbers, I actually felt like a secret observer getting to witness something very special unfolding in front of me. The chemistry between them is truly magical and sitting in the theatre, I had chills (an experience I never had watching Dreamgirls). Once isn't flashy and it is at times bittersweet, but it has heart. I give it my coveted "one thumb up". Go see it if it's still playing in your area!

To see other reviews (of less prominent critics), check out the link below
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give it the other Thumb's up...

My favorite: If you Want Me (Track 2)

What's yours?

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home