Margaret Garner

My life in Margaritaville

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Margaret and Omar - another year older, another year wiser




It's been 1 week since I turned 36. On my birthday I thought about Bob, whose memorial service I attended the day before. Whenever somebody had a birthday, Bob would ask them, "Are you having more mature thoughts?" Well, indeed I was having more mature thoughts, but only for one day. Now I'm back to wondering, "How did this happen? When did I become 'mid-thirtysomething?'...yuck!"


My birthday was great. It was preceded on Friday with a delicious Italian dinner out with Wenmei. For my birthday on Sunday, my parents came into town. If you know me, you know that I'm a Zagat's Guide junkie. I love to try new restaurants and my birthday is typically a time when I like to try something extra special. In choosing a restaurant this year, I broke from tradition and chose a culinary experience that was hokey instead of elegant. I think because I was emotionally drained from Bob's memorial service and tired from work and packing (did I mention that I moved to a new house?), this year I just wanted to relax and have some fun. So, I went with Keith, mom and dad to the Crab Cracker. There's nothing that equals this quintessential Seattle experience of puttin' on a bib and smashing crab legs with a wooden mallet! On that day, happiness came with a sheet of butcher block paper that the waitress laid on our table, followed by pots of steamed clams, muscles, shrimp, corn, potatoes those yummy crab legs. With a couple of cold beers to wash it all down, it was the perfect way to spend the day.


Two days later, Omar celebrated his birthday. He's not quite as "mature" as I am, but next year we'll welcome him into the "Over 30 Club". I'm sure Omar is very excited to learn the secret handshake!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home