Margaret Garner

My life in Margaritaville

Saturday, October 28, 2006

I'm not a domestic goddess, I just play one on my blog


I woke up this morning feeling inspired to get things done around the house. I worked outside on my favorite new pastime-- watching the grass to grow. Almost 4 weeks ago, I re-seeded a 6' x 8' section of grass that needed to be ripped out. I fertilized, scattered seeds, covered the whole thing with peat moss, watered daily, and waited. And then waited some more (I'm not very patient). As you can see in the picture, the new grass is finally coming through, but it seems like it should look a little thicker by now. This morning I scattered some more grass seed to help things along a bit.

After my lawn maintenance, I made a pot of Borscht, which is a Russian beet soup (from my mom's cookbook; thanks mom!). Warm soup on a crisp fall day seemed like just the thing. It turned out great; just like mom used to make. Yum!

By noon, I had had all the domestic bliss I could handle, so I went to my hair appointment and got a mani-pedi. Now I'm going to meet some friends for a drink (or two). Who knows...maybe I'll feel like a domestic goddess again next month.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Review:
I ordered the Borscht or (Борщ), a classic Russian soup well known in the upstate New York area (Borscht Belt), sometimes served cold or warm. In this case the Borscht was served piping hot with a dollop of sour cream, but the service was quite cold. The soup took several hours to make, and the wait staff were non-existent. I finally had to sneak into the kitchen to serve myself. However, the delay became a long (almost) forgotten memory once my lips tasted the soup. With just the right firmness to the Onions and Cabbage, with tender meat, and a flavor to die for.

Restaurant: Chez Niagara Inn
Owner: Margaret G
Food: (٭٭٭٭ ) Four Stars
Service: ( ٭٭) Two Stars
Ambiance: ( ) Zero Stars (It's a dump)
Hours: Whenever she feels like a domestic goddess and cooks something, which is typically on the weekends, but not always, so ask nicely first.

10:59 PM  
Blogger wenmei said...

How can I make a reservation at this "Chez Niagara Inn"? It sounds great, as long as service and ambience aren't important to you. And if the borscht is good, who needs service or ambience?

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Zagat Giude secret reviewer has finally revealed himself.

DJ

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home